Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default how to repair lifted trace pads ?

Theo Markettos wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair Arfa Daily wrote:

I just use the long leg on the new resistor or whatever to connect back to
the nearest undamaged point - either tracking that's still in place and
can be scraped back and soldered to, or the next genuine solder point up
the track.

On SMD boards I've used little slivers of RF shielding tape to make new
tracks. It's copper tape with adhesive on one side, you can choose whether
the adhesive is conductive or not. The adhesive is just enough to keep the
pad in place, and probably enough if the component isn't too big. You can
then solder it straight onto the component and an existing track (flux helps
here). The biggest difficulty is avoiding surface tension holding it to the
soldering iron and coming away when you remove the iron. (Using lead-based
solder tends to help here).

Theo

At work, some of the products that get manufactured there uses a copper
tape with an adhesive backing that requires heating prior to be laid on
the surface. I keep a small piece in my drawers when I need to repair a
board. I just cut, press and hold with the soldering iron.

It's a high temperature glue that is inductive heated at process time
while it's being wrapped around a cable core.

The inductive heater and controls was one of my projects and the
mechanical was done by the other skilled personal.

The whole project was credited to a process engineer that did nothing
but probe all us for idea's and had us implement it.

And when it's time to go home for the day, they don't know you
any better than the day of your hire.

That's gratifying to say the least.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5