Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Gas Explosion in flats.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:21:48 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message ,
writes
Thus spake Owain ) unto the assembled
multitudes:
I normally have some respect for many of the Transco guys but I want
to know what they were doing for six hours before the blast nearly killed
them.

Having a quiet smoke?

One night in the street where I lived some 20 years ago I noticed a very
strong smell of gas. I called the British Gas people out (this was years
before everything got contracted out), and they attended within the hour
(this was at nearly midnight). As the crew were digging a hole, one of
them nonchalantly lit a pipe. I guess the concentration of gas was well
below flammability, but it did give me the willies at the time, I can tell
you.

Gas is explosive in a concentration of between 5 and 15 percent

I suspect that this was a lot of gas, given the huge fireball that came
after the blast I suspect that the concentration may have been towards the
UEL.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk