Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Electronnic Spirit Level (Lidl)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:01:09 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
- A demotivated workforce that is desperately underpaid and which
knows that probably 80% of what it delivers goes straight in the bin.

One would like to think that they know that it's this mail that keeps
them in work. And one presumes that the businesses who send it do so
because it makes them money and is considered a more effective way of
marketing than the alternatives.

- A customer base who still expects something for practically nothing.
34p (or whatever it is now) for a standard item of first class mail.
Where does that come from? It's ridiculously low.

It's ridiculously low in rural areas (considering the likely cost of
collecting *and* delivering mail) but urban-urban mail makes money,
even more so when it comes from businesses like us who send virtually
everything with printed and postcoded addresses and pay for our postage
online. But the one party you can rely on not to interfere with the
universal service obligation is the Conservatives so nothing will change
here.

We spend about £3,500 p.a. on postage and, current strike apart, reckon
it to be a mighty good service. The strike is costing us serious money
though, some of which we may not pick up later.