Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Water damage to chimney stack.

In article . com,
writes:
This isn't exactly a diy question, although it might be in the future.
I have discovered that the chimney breast in the loft area of my house
is totally saturated with water. There's fungus on the bricks and the
mortar can be picked out with bare fingers. At the very least the
stack itself in the loft will have to be rebuilt.

Now to the real question. The damage is a consequence of the next door
neighbour's chimney not having any flashing (the two chimneys are in
one stack) so what can I do? I want to get any repairs paid for by the
neighbour, but how do I go about this? Has anyone had a similar
situation where the neighbour's lack of maintenance to their house has
caused damage to your property? If so can you offer any advice please?

I doubt your diagnosis is correct.
I can't see how missing flashing on the other
side of the stack could have this effect.

--
Andrew Gabriel