Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default constructive critic on my plcc adapter PCB - LCNORM.zip

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:23:27 -0400, robb wrote:
"John Larkin" wrote
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:09:49 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
"Joel Kolstad" wrote in

message
XEQ P (the parallel resistance program :-) )

^^^ BTW, while everyone knows that the parallel impedance

formula is 1/Result
= 1/Z1 + 1/Z2, for those of us who can get geeky with respect

to calculators
and numerical methods, using Result = (Z1*Z2)/(Z1+Z2) is more

accurate when Z1
is significantly larger or smaller than Z2... hence some of

the motivation to
write a program to do it each time.

When I have anything worth programming, I do it in PowerBasic.

It's
portable and archivable, and I can use double floats if needed.

PB
even has 80-bit floats!

if you need 80 bit floats ....
I am surprised you guys are not using some functional programming
language like scheme (lisp/Lambda calc variants) where your reals
are number abstractions with no language or data type imposed
limit on the number size or precision and of course no numerical
methods issues/errors from typical float/double data type
limitations
just wondering,

Loosely-typed or untyped data is a mare's nest of bugs just
waiting to happen.

Cheers!
Rich