Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Thermocouple testable?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 04:00:51 -0700, jim wrote:

Suggest you get some one to look at it or phone someone to find out
about part as most are the same size and are hence marked universel on
package. You sound to have more wrong than what you think suggest a
pro or at least some one with more experience take a look for you it
is gas after all. Strongly look at a new furnace if you can.

Just because you are ignorant and insecure doesn't mean that everyone
else is. If you don't have anything useful to suggest the than
calling a tradesman I suggest you keep your non advice to yourself.

Tony Hwang did remind me of a simple voltage test. Its there at 28
Vac. Thanks Tony. I don't do this often enough to have missed a
simple test llike that. But it was midnight, the light was poor and I
was tired. My next step is to take out the current thermocouple and
get a match. Its a $8 item and gets me out of the house. If it
doesn't fix the problem I leave it there anyway as a new one saves me
a future failure. Then I'll troubleshoot something else. The kind of
repairs require only a module change, no fancy parts repairs. That's
how things are done these days be it a module or a whole PCB for even
the most complex equipment. I have more more than 20 years of fixing
oilfield and industrial equipment.

Calling in one of your fellow tradesmen will easily set me back more
than $100 plus the aggravation of hearing him cry death and
destruction if I don't get him to replace the whole furnace
immediately. I do my own maintenance and my furnace looks as new as
the day it was installed. I had the heat exchanger tubes inspected by
the gas company two years ago and there is a lot of life left in them.
I asked and he showed me what to look for. When there comes a day for
them to be replaced I'll do it myself and I can do a better job than
many a tradesman.