Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing ring-main sockets

In article om,
wrote:
I recently had to replace a ring main socket in a part of the house
that was re-wired 20+ years ago by an ex-electricity board inspector.
I was surprised to see that the earth connectors, instead of being
wired into the socket, were twisted together along with a flying earth
and connected to the earth connector in the metal box. The flying
earth alone went to the socket. None of the earths were sheathed!

I'm not sure when sleeving became mandatory but it was much longer than 20
years ago. I'd say more like 40. I've seen the 7/0.29 imperial ring main
cable - which 2.5mm metric replaced in about '70 - with sleeved earths.

Twisted earths - if over a long enough length - will give a perfectly
satisfactory connection provided the conductors aren't strained enough to
fracture. And a short tail from that to the fitting will not introduce a
high enough resistance to cause a fail. But it's not modern best practice.
Incidentally this was the way telephone cables were connected underground
once - dunno if they still are.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.