Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Magnesium Firestarters

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:54:35 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I was watching a TV show a few nights ago (Survivorman I think) where the
guy scrapes off some small pieces of magnesium from a block and then
proceeds to "light" it with a flint and steel... All to start a small camp
fire outside...

Which led me to another one of my "curiosity" questions...

If I buy magnesium from somewhere (McMaster doesn't seem to carry it or I'm
semi-blind), can I do the same thing? A small block about the size of a
domino for scraping small pieces off with a pocket knife blade... Then a
small flint or other flame source to start the magnesium burning...

Also, doesn't magnesium burn with a *really* bright flame - as in
eye-damaging?

Other dangers? Thoughts?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

You can do it with any chunk of magnesium.

I have a couple old prts around, that I use for that.

The real advantage to the firestarter ones is that the "flint" is
attached.

They are no help at all, if you do not have them, though.

There is a technique to getting the correct shavings to use. Too
coarse, and they do not ignige very well at all. Good to have tried this
out in good conditions, so you have, at least, one less thing to figure
out by trial and error when it could kill you.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Best shaving/sparking tool is the back of a piece of hacksaw.

These are very common survivalist tools. i must have 6 or 8 of them
tucked away here and there.

On the other hand...one of those small butane torches works faster and
better unless you are in sub zero temps. So do regular propane
torches, particularly when all the available tinder is wet and your
hands are so cold you can barely hold the striker of a metal match.

Somone mentioned kersosene. Works ok. On the other hand..some cotton
balls soaked in vasoline and kept in a 35mm film can, work quite well
too and wont leak into your Cheetos.

and...

http://www.equipped.com/firestrt.htm

Gunner