Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Best Brazing Flux & Metal Prep for Brazing

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 05:50:05 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

surfaces. A two part question. How do you clean up old rusty metal
for brazing. Is there a certain brand of flux that's worked better
for you than the coated rods?

I hope the repair you did was for a display rifle.

I'm pretty sure it will only ever be a wall hanger, and that's what I
recommended to the friend I did it for. Since it was only ever
intended for CB caps, I suspect that the repair I did would be
sufficient for those. If the owner really did want to shoot it, I
think I'd braze on a reinforcing plate on both sides of the break in
the receiver frame. As it is, the hammer spring is missing, and I'd
need to make one of those before it would be in firing condition. I'd
need to get a parts diagram for a Flobert Parlor Rifle before I could
do that repair since I've never seen the inside of one of these
before.

Flux. What flux do you all use for brazing?

RWL