Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Dewalt cordless clutch useless?

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I just got my model 925 cordless hammer drill back from the shop the
second time and the clutch still doesn't do anything. The guy said it
really doesn't kick in except in high gear. Porter Cable works well
enough in low gear and so does Hitachi and Milwaukee. What gives with the
Dewalts? Is the repair guy correct? If so, why bother with a clutch at
all? When I need the clutch I also need low speed, not high speed, such
as deck screws and light fixtures and such. Do I really need to buy
another drill just to be able to use a clutch?

Mike D.

My experience with Dewalt is completely negative. First, I has a 9.6V
model cordless. The gears stripped out of the tranny on that one. I
bought a spendy 14.4V XRP Cordless 1/2" drill to replace it. It does the
same thing as yours. The clutch only works right in second or third gear.
As if that wasn't bad enough, I think the brushes are going out on it. It
belches out smoke when you first use it, and continues to fan out a burnt
smell during use. The smoke started right after the warranty ran out, of
course.

I also have a 12" Dewalt sliding compound miter saw. It is overweight,
overpriced, and underpowered.

I'm a 3 for 3 loser with Dewalt products, and everyone knows their stuff
ain't cheap.

I will never buy Dewalt again, no matter how much they pay Mike Holmes to
use their tools on his TV show.

I went with Dewalt only because of the rotary cutout tool. RotoZip is
powerful, but the switch is NOT sealed and it goes out fast. The cordless
Dewalt has enough juice to do 3-4 rooms on one charge and is nice when
working on scaffolding. If it weren't for this tool I would have gone
Milwaukee as Porter Cable is now owned by Dewalt and are expected to destroy
the brand.

Mike D.