Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to Find a Steel Utility Door?

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
The door from the garage into the back yard, not used especially often, is a
builder's special which after several decades has "seen better days", as they
say. And the framing around it was hit by termites quite severely - I think I
nuked them but the frame is heavily damaged.

After digesting everything I could read on the internet, I think I'd like to
put a steel door there, but not the typical dents-easily 26 gauge guy; I'd
rather pay a few bucks more for a 20 gauge unit.

But I'm having trouble locating a source here in Southern California. I read
a well-written recommendation for the products by a company called Precision,
but they don't seem to have a presence out here.

Can anyone suggest a means of getting a decent non-ornate heavy steel pre-hung
door around here, or brands that I might consider? This has been a
surprisingly futile search target.

Art

Big-box store is unlikely to carry them, since few DIYs want
commercial-style utility doors. Rather than mess with their annoying
special-order process, try a 'real' lumberyard or supply house that
caters to the trade. A door with thicker-gauge metal will also likely
come with a metal frame, designed to be set into a masonry wall. If you
want a regular wood frame and brickmold so you can switch it yourself,
you will likely have to go with a premium residential brand.

You are definitely right about switching the entire assembly, though.
The side door to my garage is in similar sad shape, and has been on my
to-do list since I bought this place. I wanna wait till I can add an
eyebrow canopy above it, and a concrete or paver splash block in front
of it, before I switch it, though. As exposed to weather and rain splash
as the location is, it would just trash out the new door in short order.
For the time being, I just keep it blocked off.

aem sends...