Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
nesesu nesesu is offline

Default Heathkit CT-1 problem ?

On Oct 8, 7:34 pm, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:
Hi Neil
Mine has the 10mmf on the end opposite the green dot..
But my schematic shows a 5mmf across the big coil which mine doesn't
have..
Does yours have a 5 mmf on the coil as shown on the schematic and in
Fig. 3 page 11?
tnx
Hank"nesesu" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 8, 5:03 pm, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:
Dave
Thanks for the offer but I have a manual copy that seems to be god
enough..
I'm hoping some one who sees the post and has a CT-1 has the time to
take a look inside to see if there;s really a 5 mmf cap across the
coil.
Right now I'm trying to recall what junkbox of my many might have
one..
Hank"DaveM" wrote in message

m...

Henry, I just opened mine and it has a 10pF NPO ceramic across the end
of the coil opposite the green dot [the left end looking from the
rear]. The frequency of the oscillation in not as critical as it
operating over the range of loads, so I should try 10pF and see how it
works with a variety of capacitor values under test. If it craps out
at either end of the load range, try 5, 15 or 20pF and see how it
goes.

Neil S.- Hide quoted text -

I checked mine and the schematic does not show any cap across the
'large' coil, nor is there one. You might check the cathode for
oscillation activity since virtually any capacitance across the
secondary will kill the oscillation [even a 'scope probe]. There is
not a whole lot in there to go wrong, so you might check the eye tube
triode for emission; if it is weak that could be a problem, or if it
has been inactive for a long time. Mine has not been used since I
refurbished it 10 or so years ago, and it worked immediately I turned
it on and the tube warmed up.

Neil S.