Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Question About Bearings...

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
news:HN9Pi.9168$C2.7251@trnddc02...
What are the advantages / disadvantages of a ceramic bearing.

Example -
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...arings/Kit7183

Do they run faster without overheating or run cooler? Lubricant
requirements less critical? Longer life?

Their main use has been in high-speed bearings, where the balls' lower
density (lighter weight) allows much higher rpms without overload from
centrifugal force.

When one of my former clients (Roku-Roku) moved up from 20,000 rpm spindles
to 30,000 rpm spindles, they needed hybrid ceramic bearings to handle the
speed.

Are they more prone to damage when shocked by vibrations or trauma from
impact, etc?

'Don't know.

Did a quick Google search and turned up some info, but would love some "in
the field" information if available.

Roku-Roku had specific data on life of steel bearings, hybrid ceramics
(ceramic balls, steel races) and pure ceramics, but I don't think they made
it public. You only need the pure ceramics when you were working at the
hairy edge. They cost the most. Fischer uses them, or they did, in their
high-end, high-speed spindles.

You'll find them used on very high speed spindles from several parts of the
world. The Germans like them a lot.

--
Ed Huntress