Posted to alt.home.repair
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default Replacing Exterior Front Door - Scam vs Reality

"Trevor Retsnef" wrote in message
I have an exterior front door that needs replacing.

The former owner put a kick plate on a steel door. That means rust.

Could you replace it with staneless or brass kick plate?

I need to replace the door, but frankly I do not want to, nor do I feel it
is necessary to shell out about 2.5K to replace a door and two sidelights.

It seems to me that an 80x36 door is an 80x36 door, and I should be able
to go get one.

Is it a scam that the local hardware stores and local contracters are
trying to tell me that i need to replace the entire unit?

Seems like a steel door is about $140, but perhaps there is not enough
margin on that to make it worth while, so they push replacing the entire
unit.

Maybe much more labor involved with just replacing the door and not the
whole unit with side lights. And than may not look right matching the side
lights.

I wonder if you could order just the door from the original manufacture
assuming if they have the same model and style. If its me, I get a wood door
and trim it to fit. Don't know if you could trim a steel door.

2.5K isn't that much for a door with two side lights including installation.
I've see it well over 10K without installation - no idea why so much.

Can someone shed some light on this?

NOTE: House is 21yrs old.

If I do need to replace the entire unit, why isn't a door a door?

Thanks,

Bob