Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Replacing electrical wall outlets...

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:19:06 -0400, mm
wrote:

[snip]

I don't unplug anything either. I may have lost an internal modem via
a surge on the phone line, or maybe it broke for some other reason.

I remember several cases of losing computer equipment during a
thunderstorm. All of them were modems (connected to phoneline). That's
ONE reason why I prefer external modems.

The NIST has a guide on surges and surge protection at:
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/p.../surgesfnl.pdf
According to NIST guide, US insurance information indicates equipment
most frequently damaged by lightning is
computers with a modem connection
TVs, VCRs and similar equipment (presumably with cable TV
connections).
All can be damaged by high voltages between power and signal wires.

One of the ways to protect against high voltage between signal an power
is to have a *short* 'ground' wire from the phone, cable, ... entry
protectors to the earthing wire at the power service. With any large
surge current to earth, the building 'ground' will lift far above
'absolute' ground. You want the 'ground' for phone, cable, power to lift
together.

When using a plug-in suppressor, all interconnected equipment needs to
be connected to the same plug-in suppressor, or interconnecting wires
need to go through the suppressor. External connections, like phone,
also need to go through the suppressor. Connecting all wiring through
the suppressor prevents damaging voltages between power and signal wires.

If the plug on a plug-in suppressor is damaged it can be replaced. The
suppressor doesn't have to be junked.

--
bud--