Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How to attach a wooden shelf to a concrete wall

On Oct 10, 4:18 am, chai&cigs wrote:
Hello - I am from India and i am writing regarding a query i have on
attaching a wooden shelf. My grandfather used to own a good quality
wood (unsure if its teak etc..) table, over the years, the legs began
to deteriorate and i did not have the heart to throw it away. so i
sawed off the legs and planed the base to get a regular wooden box
shelf.

It is about

2 feet in length
1 foot in width
0.5 foot in depth.

weight should be about 5 Kilograms.

I am planning of attaching this to my patio, here we have mostly
concrete wall construction. My current method is to get 2 'L' shaped
metal brackets and attach it to the wall, placing the brackets beneath
the wooden shelf.

The only problem with this method i have seen earlier is that the
whole unit would tend to irritatingly "sag/ tilt" after it is
attached. I am unsure if the spacing between the brackets is too close
or too far apart.

If there is a better method , i'd appreciate your ideas and
suggestions on this.

best regards,
cc

I did the same in my basement (concrete block wall). Used the 'L'
brackets, drilled and installed the plastic screw plugs and used 'dry
wall' screws. Hasn't sagged in over 20 years. I used the heavy duty
brackets with the extra brace running diagonal between the legs.

Harry K