Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default New Wire From Recep to Breaker

In article .com, John Ross wrote:
The saga of my trying to get a few receptacles grounded continues....

Talked to another electrician, who wants to just run a new Romex cable
(this is 1960 house with the old Romex with no ground in it) from the
specific receptacle back to the panel (he hasn't come out yet to look
at the place, but thinks he can run it the same place as original--
well, not the entire original--just up wall to attic and then to
panel).

Probably, he's intending to run the cable to the *first* receptacle on the
circuit.

This sounds a lot cleaner than drilling holes in floor just for a
ground wire etc. However, you guys have gotten me up to speed on the
grounding issue, but I am clueless for something like this.

Is this considered legitimate?

Sure. Why wouldn't it be?

I assume you would have to connect the
old wires together somehow in the receptacle so the other receptacles
on the circuit are not cut off?

Same way they're connected now.

The other thing that I just thought of was when it gets back to the
breaker, you will still have the old wiring connected to that breaker.

No, that would be disconnected and replaced by the new cable.

So how would he end up with both connected to that breaker?

He wouldn't.

Is there a
code correct way to do this?

Yes -- and it sounds to me like this guy knows how to do it.

For the record, I almost gave up today after talking to 4 electricians
who said some off the wall things (I'll tell you that later---you
won''t believe it and I don't want this thread to go on a tangent.
Suffice to say, this guy *sounded* like he had a clue, but then again
I got duped before and you guys came to the rescue!

When he comes out to look at it, you can ask him exactly what he's planning to
do -- if it doesn't sound right, tell him you'll get back to him in a day or
two, and check it out here.

--
Regards,