Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Magnesium Firestarters

I was watching a TV show a few nights ago (Survivorman I think) where the
guy scrapes off some small pieces of magnesium from a block and then
proceeds to "light" it with a flint and steel... All to start a small camp
fire outside...

Which led me to another one of my "curiosity" questions...

If I buy magnesium from somewhere (McMaster doesn't seem to carry it or I'm
semi-blind), can I do the same thing? A small block about the size of a
domino for scraping small pieces off with a pocket knife blade... Then a
small flint or other flame source to start the magnesium burning...

Also, doesn't magnesium burn with a *really* bright flame - as in
eye-damaging?

Other dangers? Thoughts?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.