Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Powermatic 66 I might buy

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:10:37 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

A fellow with failing health is selling a Powermatic 66, 3hp, 1phase, with
50" Beisemeyer fence and a CMT 8" dado set for $1800. It is 16 years old
and has less than 100 hours of use. I took a look and it is in excellent
condition. No rust on the table, everything works and is tight. I noticed
that the tilt was hard to turn. He said he'd never tilted the blade in 16
years. Should I buy it?

He had a bunch of other stuff as well, all top of the line Powermatic.

$1800 seems a little on the high side to me. As I recall, in 1990
that's about what they sold for new. I would expect to see a little
bit more of a discount for used, even if just hardly.

And in a hobby application, 100 hours of use is a lot of turning on
and turning off as well as run time. It's like being in a cabinet
shop, running it continuously the full 8 hours, every day, for two and
a half weeks. It's no wonder the tilt is stiff--it's probably packed
with sawdust.

Not saying you shouldn't get it--just that the price seems a little
high. Of course you could also argue that it really holds its value...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.