Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Can I put a mortice lock on a door just 34mm thick?

Simon wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Our back door is quite slim , ie 34 mm , and currently just has those
security locks which all have the same key.
I'd like to fit some sort of lock with a unique key like a mortice
lock but fear that it the door is too thin?
Can you get slim locks?

I fitted a mortice lock to a door that was of standard thickness, but had
lots of glazing so that the bit of wood I was working on had a fairly small
cross-section. I bought a mortice lock with an outer hardened anti-drill
sleeve, and then removed the sleeve which was only held on with small bolts.
I reckon that burglars are more likely to try to force the door than drill
out the lock, so it was best to minimise the amount of wood removed.

Insurance companies ask whether you have 3 lever deadlocks fitted but
it's obvious that, in the case of thin doors, they're worse than useless.
I've just been getting a few quotes and leaving out deadlocks, burglar
alarms, smoke alarms etc made very little difference to the premiums.