Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Mekon Mekon is offline

Default Secret door

After serious thinking Leon wrote :
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
The next play, an Agatha Christie mystery, requires a secret door. I
put this one together today. The director's brief was a bit vague on
which way the door was to open so I made it so it was a minimum of
effort to rehang the other way. I had to use the stripey fabric on the
side to allow for the swing of the shelves, it will be painted to match
the walls and from 8 meters away it will look solid.

The pivot point is a bolt with extra large washers at the top and just
a long screw to swivel on at the bottom. I'll see how that works in
rehearsal, but it seems to be fine atm. It will need extra bracing to
'firm up' the sides but that will be easily acomplished with the
adjoining flats.

Very cool! That would be pretty neat to have in your house IF you had the
room to spare on the back side of the door to allow for the pivot swing area
required.

Yeah, I didn't put the 'hinge' at the end as I was worried about the
sag that this heavy sod would cause. And the theatre co can't afford
those expensive no sag hinges. The bolt was cheap and should last the
12 shows.

Mekon