Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] deans@wdeans.com is offline

Default plug-in "permanent" house wiring

On Oct 10, 12:44 am, "Pete C." wrote:
mm wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:14:14 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Unless it's a hybrid UPS with ferroresonant line conditioner, it's
standby / float charging power consumption is pretty negligible.

Then why is my one-computer UPS so hot if I leave it on while not
using the computer. Not just in one spot, but over the entire top
surface and some of the sides.

Put a 7W night light in a closed shoe box all day and see how hot it
gets. Look at a 10W soldering iron melting solder. Heat will build over
time from even a quite small source if the package design doesn't
provide very good dissipation. My main UPS runs very cool, buy it does
have a full time fan at low speed, which switched to full speed when the
UPS switches to inverter.

You chose two examples which were both invalid. The tip of the 10W
soldering iron has a tiny surface area to dissipate the heat from. In
the enclosed example you don't talk about dissipating heat but the
heat trapped in the box. mm says the entire surface area of his UPS
is hot and dissipating heat. A better example would be that even a
40W fluorescent tube is not hot to the touch.