Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default plug-in "permanent" house wiring

mm wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:14:14 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Unless it's a hybrid UPS with ferroresonant line conditioner, it's
standby / float charging power consumption is pretty negligible.

Then why is my one-computer UPS so hot if I leave it on while not
using the computer. Not just in one spot, but over the entire top
surface and some of the sides.

Put a 7W night light in a closed shoe box all day and see how hot it
gets. Look at a 10W soldering iron melting solder. Heat will build over
time from even a quite small source if the package design doesn't
provide very good dissipation. My main UPS runs very cool, buy it does
have a full time fan at low speed, which switched to full speed when the
UPS switches to inverter.