Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Exterior Front Door - Scam vs Reality

"Trevor Retsnef" wrote in message
Is it a scam that the local hardware stores and local contracters are
trying to tell me that i need to replace the entire unit?

Seems like a steel door is about $140, but perhaps there is not enough
margin on that to make it worth while, so they push replacing the entire
unit.

If I do need to replace the entire unit, why isn't a door a door?

Manufacturers can place hinges differently so one brand may or may not be an
exact fit. If you can find the same brand you have a better shot at just
replacing the door. You also have to find a dealer willing to special order
just the door. In this day of pre-hung units, that is generally the easy
way to do an upgrade.