Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Replacing Exterior Front Door - Scam vs Reality

A door is a door is a door.

Is it a residential metal metal door?
What brand?
Are the hinges set in wood or steel?
What size butt hinges are they? Do they use #10 or #12 screws or
are they wood screws?
What height are the strike(s) for latch and deadbolt?
Is yours a 1 3/8 door or an 1 3/4 door?
Are you planning to reuse your hardware?
Were you going to drill your own holes?
Are there borrowed lite(s) in the door?

Unless you have something quite strange and elaborate I doubt
anyone quoted $2500. Be aware some doors cost well over $1000
without hardware. Make sure you are comparing apples and apples.
I had some pewter faced, walnut trimmed doors that were over $3000
back in the late 70's.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Trevor Retsnef" wrote in message
I have an exterior front door that needs replacing.

The former owner put a kick plate on a steel door. That means
rust.

I need to replace the door, but frankly I do not want to, nor do
I feel it is necessary to shell out about 2.5K to replace a door
and two sidelights.

It seems to me that an 80x36 door is an 80x36 door, and I should
be able to go get one.

Is it a scam that the local hardware stores and local
contracters are trying to tell me that i need to replace the
entire unit?

Seems like a steel door is about $140, but perhaps there is not
enough margin on that to make it worth while, so they push
replacing the entire unit.

Can someone shed some light on this?

NOTE: House is 21yrs old.

If I do need to replace the entire unit, why isn't a door a
door?

Thanks,

Bob