Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Replacing Exterior Front Door - Scam vs Reality

In article LVUOi.5838$j14.5827@trnddc06, "Trevor Retsnef" wrote:
I have an exterior front door that needs replacing.

The former owner put a kick plate on a steel door. That means rust.

I need to replace the door, but frankly I do not want to, nor do I feel it
is necessary to shell out about 2.5K to replace a door and two sidelights.

It seems to me that an 80x36 door is an 80x36 door, and I should be able to
go get one.

Is it a scam that the local hardware stores and local contracters are trying
to tell me that i need to replace the entire unit?

Maybe, maybe not -- but consider that doors are sold by *nominal*, not actual,
sizes, and one manufacturer's 80x36 door may not be exactly the same size as
another's. This isn't an issue with wood doors, because they can be easily
trimmed to fit. Metal doors, on the other hand, need to be pretty much an
exact fit.

--
Regards,