Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialingin the house as well?

wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:45:04 -0400, Terry
wrote:

We were on a party line when I was young.

I had a party line in the duplex I rented in 1984, It may still be
that way. ...

Not only were we on party line, still had the old rotary crank to
"central" and maintained own lines up to branch point near town where
connected to their lines.

I remember distinctly first time in grade school need to call home and
having to ask how to use the high-falutin' dial phone -- didn't have a
clue of our number, just "long-short" for us, "two shorts for
grandparents, various other combinations for the other roughly
half-dozen farmsteads...

When we came back to the farm after Dad died unexpectedly in '99,
discovered they were still paying the rental for the old dial phones
which were the originals in the house since about '80-81 and return
springs so sprung had to manually turn them back. All that rent paid
over the years and didn't even ask for new ones when those wore out--I
suppose because the old square black units probably weren't available
any longer and didn't want any of that "new-fangled" stuff...