Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] deans@wdeans.com is offline

Default plug-in "permanent" house wiring

On Oct 9, 9:45 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 9 Oct, 02:13, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 9:24 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 8, 9:07 pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 7:27 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

" wrote in message

ups.com...

Greetings,

I have two computers, one in the basement and one on the third floor,
which I would like to run off the same plug-in UPS (expensive, so I
don't want to purchase another one). There is already conduit going
up to the third floor. What do I need to properly (to-code) install a
UPS protected outlet on the third floor which shares the plug-in UPS
in the basement? Is there a code-compliant solution? Are you allowed
to plug a cord into a UPS which goes into a junction box, is spliced
to THHN, and then into the house wiring?

Thank you for your time,
William

PS: I am not asking for instructions on how to install an outlet. The
outlet that the UPS plugs into in the basement is already GFI
protected. There are enough spare cubic inches in the box to support
an additional device and wiring.

Perhaps the installation of a flanged inlet at the UPS location would give
you the ability to use permanent wiring in the wall. I'm not sure what wire
size you need, but they come in 15 and 20 amp and perhaps 30 amp straight
blade and twistlock.. Depending on the inlet configuration that you use,
you might need to make your own cord set-up to connect the flanged inlet to
your UPS. At the third floor location you could just have a regular
receptacle or something different like a twistlock to indicate that it's
special.

Thank you very much David, John, and RMB for attempting to help me
create a NEC complaint installation. I am going to proceed with
project "central UPS" as one poster put it. I am going to use a red
plate and a label from a labeling machine which states the receptacle
is connected to the basement UPS. I will use twist lock flanged
connectors (in the basement) and 12 AWG wire throughout.

One line explanations for hecklers:
=====================================
Anti-rackmount coalition: I have clients because I give them what they
want.
People who don't believe in discount rates: The miracle of compound
interest is real and I don't actually mind your disbelief because
someone has to pay all that interest.
UPS TCO math: I elaborated in my Pete C. reply post.
Derby Dad: I'll be sure and eat the high-fiber box to after consuming
the cereal contained therein.- Hide quoted text -

I don't recall saying anything about your fiber intake. I did,
however, ask a question about the code compliancy of your beautifully
finished attic.

Fair enough.

To the best of my knowledge it is electrical code complaint so long as
it is not considered a bedroom (it doesn't have arc-fault
protection.) There may also be more than 5% voltage drop if you fully
loaded the existing circuit (but that is a FPN).- Hide quoted text -

Once again, I am feeling misunderstood.

My original question was not limited to NEC compliancy. I also asked
about egress and any other codes that might be applicable to the
intended use of the space: height of sloped walls, joist sizing for
live loads plus furniture, ventilation, etc.

I don't really care if it's code compliant in all areas - that's your
choice - and as I've said before, making it NEC compliant is
commendable, especially from a safety perspective. I'm just curious as
to whether or not you've put as much effort into all the other codes
that might apply as you seem to be to putting into the UPS
connections.

To answer your question I have put disproportional effort into this
posting. I have done so because I personally don't like it when I
spend the time to help someone out and they don't bother to reply. I
have also learned a little something and hopefully so have the other
participants. I consider the room reasonably safe for my family and
self in all regards. I apologize but I do not wish to revisit the
entire scope of the project.