Posted to alt.home.repair
BETA-32[_2_] BETA-32[_2_] is offline

Default Repainting Water Stained Ceiling

Kilz will work. If it's basically just a stain, you can paint the Kilz
right over it. If there is a little roughness to the surface, you can sand
it smooth and paint it with Kilz. You don't have to dig it out.

But, I have also done this and it worked fine: Spray the stained area with
any enamel spray paint you may have around, then paint over it with regular
latex paint to paint the ceiling. The enamel paint keeps the stain from
"bleeding" through, which is what Kilz does.

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Had a leak from an upstairs bathroom, that discolored the ceiling of the
room below. Leak now fixed.

Before I repaint the leaked area (turned brownish-orange), what do I want
to coat it with prior to the regular latex interior house paint.

I heard about a product called "Kilz".

Is this what I want, or is there something better ?

Do I have to scrape out all the damaged area first, or just put some more
spackle in there first, or... ?

Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob