Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repainting Water Stained Ceiling

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Had a leak from an upstairs bathroom, that discolored the ceiling of the
room below. Leak now fixed.

Before I repaint the leaked area (turned brownish-orange), what do I want
to coat it with prior to the regular latex interior house paint.

I heard about a product called "Kilz".

Is this what I want, or is there something better ?

Do I have to scrape out all the damaged area first, or just put some more
spackle in there first, or... ?

Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

Many years ago, the Kilz brand was billed as the one to use when you needed
to cover stains. But, they also make a primer that's just primer, to compete
with everyone else who makes primer. It'll work fine. If you want to go
top-of-the-line, open your yellow pages phone book, find some hardware or
paint specialty stores, and find a place that sells Devoe or Martin-Senour
brands. Go there. Buy it. Don't ask how much. Just buy it.