Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Radiosrfun Radiosrfun is offline

Default Color TV issue

I have a 19" Admiral Colored TV which is probably 15 years old or so -
played flawlessly until now.

Just in the past couple days - the screen started jumping. The symptoms a
1. Non existent sometimes
2. Intermittent at times
3. Really nasty at others.

I've not done "TV" repairs for many years - like very early 90s (regularly)
then one here and there over the years - so I'm a bit out of the "TV" loop.
I've devoted my bench time and equipment to other fields, I'm a bit out of
the loop on TV issues. Personally, I'm thinking the faults are in the
priority as shown.

1. Cold solder joint
2. A cap/resistor going bad
3. Semiconductor going flakey

I have to look and see if I have any spray to use to check for "heat"issues.
Haven't had much call for it in recent years.

The TV will play fine for a while - then jump like a bad antenna connection.
OR it will display a solid while horizontal line with the picture "trying"
to lock in - video flitters about above and below the white line. Turn the
set off - then back on - it is fine for a second - then back to white line
and flittering. "Sometimes" but not always - it "seems" to respond to
pounding on the set - but that could be misleading.

I fell asleep "listening" to it last night - woke up this AM - it was
playing like nothing wrong. Has been all day - so far.

I don't have the model number available at this second, but can get it -
hopefully someone has a schematic.

I'm going to be taking it apart in the next day or two - to take a look at
it. Have a couple more important issues pending right now.

Any opinions?

Yeah, I know all about the HDTV issues, I just want to keep this one alive a
while longer. Besides, I've seen some TVs bought new (recently) - not
lasting a year. I'll use this until it dies. Maybe if this would be kind
enough to continue a while longer, get a converter box "supposedly" coming
out for the HDTV to Analog - sets There's not a thing wrong with this set
when it is displaying the picture normally. FWIW - this set "is" used -
heavily. Best sleeping pill I ever had. Aside from watching it through the
day - or "listening" to it as doing other work - games and so on, there is
the falling asleep to it. So, it gets lots of use.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Lou