Posted to alt.home.repair
The Streets The Streets is offline

Default Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well?

wrote in message
.net...
In article .com,
says...
I am thinking of buying an old rotary dial phone.
I understand that I need to have it set up for pulse dialing vs. the
more modern tone dialing.

So can one jack be set up the old fashioned way with the phone company
or does the entire account need to be set up one way or another?

You can't have just one jack set up differently, but it's common to have
the phone system accept both tone and pulse dialing. Common, but not
universal, some newer systems have dropped support for pulse dial.

Personally, I have VOIP at home, and can't take pulse dialing. The old
rotary phone still works fine for answering, I just can't use it to dial
out. And if I leave its ringer turned on, caller ID doesn't work on the
modern phones.

Also, some old rotary phones were setup for party lines. In order to get
them to ring on single lines you have to make a small wiring change
inside the phone. It's easy to do but I haven't done it in awhile and don't
recall where on the internet I found the information -- a bit of Googling
was all it took.