Gunner

Default Nice write up about LEDs

On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:42:58 -0700, John Ings
wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2004 07:58:06 -0700, "Those Minds"
wrote:

Do you have that little faith in the citizenry of Britain that you think
everyone would go on a killing spree if they were armed?

A few would. Many would also engage in the same klutzy behaviour
as US handgun owners. Shooting themselves or shooting family members
by accident or deliberately. Acting as a source of handguns for the
criminal element, etc etc.

By your reasoning, then I should have shot at least one or two of my family
members by now or should at least know someone who has shot someone
accidentally.

No, the klutz incidence isn't that frequent. But it's way more
frequent than the "98 lb granny fights off 200 lb assailant"
frequency.

Actually no its not. Government figures show that between 1.2 and 2
million defensive gun uses occur in the US every year. The vast
majority of them never involve firing a shot. On the other hand, the
changes of being shot accidently are somewhat less than dying in a
swimming pool accident, and way below choking to death on food.

Given that automobiles kill more people in this country, (and they require
licenses and registration) than firearms, then should we now ban automobiles
and rely on the government for transportation?

Since when do all vehicles require licensing and registration? They
do NOT. Only those used on public roadways.

No, because automobiles have another use besides "self protection".

So do firearms. I hunt with them, target shoot with them, enjoy
competition with them, enjoy collecting and building them.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell