Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default "Tall" Water Heaters are not taller?

" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lowes has a big selection on Whirlpool water heaters. Some of them
are called 'Tall' water heaters and some are just plain old water
heaters. However, the only dimensional difference I see between the
'Tall' and 'standard' is in the diameter. What is up with that?
The 'Tall' water heaters also seem to have a slightly higher energy
factor (about 10% higher). I assume that's because they have more
insulation (contributing to the larger diameter).....?

Any anyone shed some light on this for me?

If you look at your links (from your later post)... you'll see that the Tall
version has 2" of insulation and the Standard unit has 1" of insulation.
So the dif 22 - 20 is your insulation. This cuts down on the standby loss,
which increases your efficiency a little bit.

Here's the info from my other post as to the height concern.

Quote:

"Water heaters used to be commonly referred to as Standard and Short.
Today, most manufacture's refer to them as Tall and Short.
That's why they are the same height."