Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Applying sledgehammer to computer hard drives

According to Ignoramus17253 :
On 2007-10-08, Dave Hinz wrote:

[ ... ]

Great source of little parts. Your budding engineer of a son would
probably find a great deal of pleasure from dissecting them.

We actually dissected one before, he liked it and we indeed took the
magnets out (and shiny platters). They are a little stronger than eBay
magnets, but not my as much as to justify their weird shape, for
actual use.

If you want to separate the magnets from the pole pieces, heat
it up with a torch to soften the Loctite (or similar) which glues the
magnets to the pole pieces. Put the pole piece in a vise, apply
sideways pressure with a screwdriver (or with some wood), and heat the
pole piece from below. When the Loctite softens, you will feel the
magnet slide sideways on the pole piece, and you can continue shoving
until it is clear. (It will probably flip over and stick to the back
side of the pole pieces.) Anyway, once you have it separate from the
pole piece, you can affix it to pole pieces designed to serve *your*
needs instead of those of the disk drive.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564