Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default CFL bashing...

On Oct 8, 4:16 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
wrote:

I have tried and tried these CFLs and find them hugely disappointing.
really think this is going to become the 1.6-gallon-toilet of the new
generation - a few work somewhat well, most don't, but the reports
from
the field are all hidden under the glowing, glowing hype. Leaving
the
closet light on because it won't come to full brightness quickly might
become the next double-flush.

I mean, I really *wanted* the CFLs to work. I like fluorescents, but
give me T8s in a proper fixture and keep the damn CFLs except for
a few special cases. Not only is there the brightness problem, but

-the light is poor in quality in most of the ones most people can
afford

-there is no discussion of power factor because nobody knows about it

-No energy is saved during the heating season

-even the most compact CFLs are bulky and heavy, and won't fit a lot
of
fixtures, and overstress sockets.

-in a fully enclosed fixture, I find that CFLs tend to overheat and
fail

-light output is often significantly lower than the incandescents the
bulb is "compared to" on the package.

Of course, nobody sees anything past the "ENERGY SAVINGS!!! YAY!"

I've been using CFLs for quite a while and have not experienced any of
the claimed issues. Color temperatures are good, initial brightness and
time to full brightness are fine in living area conditions, no CFL
meltdowns, no fit issues vs. "A" incandescents, etc. Only in an unheated
storage container in CT winter is there a noticeable dim start and full
brightness in a couple minutes and that's hardly a problem.

I'd posted a while back about the CFL's I was using in my bathroom
(large globes) first brand I tried had unacceptable warm up time,
second brand seemed initially OK but now that they've been in a month
or two they're starting to exhibit long warm up times as well. Anyone
recommend a brand that really works well?

nate