Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pawlowsk002@gannon.edu is offline

Default Motion Detecting Lights in Bathrooms - Code??

On Sep 3, 7:37 pm, wrote:
On Sep 3, 7:05 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

She told me the electrician who'd wired the place for her said the motion
detectors were required by code on new construction there, but she hadn't
been given a reason why.

My inquiring mind wants to know if that's really a code requirement, and
if so, what's the underlying reason. All I can think of is some whacky
safety issue to avoid someone entering a dark bathroom from stumbling and
ending up with their head stuck in the toilet because they couldn't find
the light switch. G

So, what is it? (Or was her electrician maybe off base?)

Given that it is California, I have no doubt it is code. My guess,
again since it is Ca, is that someone's honcho's worthless
brother-in-law makes them... er I mean that it is an energy saving
effort.

Energy saving code reqt would be my guess too. They want tobantheincandescentbulb in CA too. I'm trying a few of those CFL flood
type bulbs that are supposed to be so great myself. So far, I'm not
impressed. They take about 2 mins to reach any reasonable
brightness. I put two in about two months ago, and one just went out
already. 4X Life? I don't think so!- Hide quoted text -

I have tried and tried these CFLs and find them hugely disappointing.
really think this is going to become the 1.6-gallon-toilet of the new
generation - a few work somewhat well, most don't, but the reports
from
the field are all hidden under the glowing, glowing hype. Leaving
the
closet light on because it won't come to full brightness quickly might
become the next double-flush.

I mean, I really *wanted* the CFLs to work. I like fluorescents, but
give me T8s in a proper fixture and keep the damn CFLs except for
a few special cases. Not only is there the brightness problem, but

-the light is poor in quality in most of the ones most people can
afford

-there is no discussion of power factor because nobody knows about it

-No energy is saved during the heating season

-even the most compact CFLs are bulky and heavy, and won't fit a lot
of
fixtures, and overstress sockets.

-in a fully enclosed fixture, I find that CFLs tend to overheat and
fail

-light output is often significantly lower than the incandescents the
bulb is "compared to" on the package.

Of course, nobody sees anything past the "ENERGY SAVINGS!!! YAY!"