Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Henry Kolesnik Henry Kolesnik is offline

Default Heathkit CT-1 problem ?

Dave
Thanks for the offer but I have a manual copy that seems to be god
enough..
I'm hoping some one who sees the post and has a CT-1 has the time to
take a look inside to see if there;s really a 5 mmf cap across the coil.
Right now I'm trying to recall what junkbox of my many might have one..
Hank
"DaveM" wrote in message
. ..
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
et...
I got one at swapmeet with a problem. It works fine on the Short side
but on the Open side on check the eye stays open instead of being
closed. The wiring and tube seem OK. The schematic I have shows a
5mmf cap across the osc coil but I don't see one and wonder if it was
missing from the factory because the parts list doesn't show a 5mmf
cap. I'm guessing the coil came with both caps as an assembly or my
unit is a later one and they may have figured out a way to wind the
coil where they don't need it. Anyone know? Scoping the grid I can
see a flash of high freq. osc momentarily but that's switching in the
Short side.
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

The manual I have for the CT-1 shows a 10 pf capacitor across the
oscillator coil, however, it's not in the parts list either. The
oscillator coil must have come from the factory assembled with a
tuning capacitor that made the circuit oscillate at the correct
frequency.
Do you have a complete manual that gives the circuit theory of
operation? That section describes both open and short checks as well
as normal operation. If not, I can send you a PDF of the manual.

Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra