Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
DaveM DaveM is offline

Default Heathkit CT-1 problem ?

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
et...
I got one at swapmeet with a problem. It works fine on the Short side but on
the Open side on check the eye stays open instead of being closed. The wiring
and tube seem OK. The schematic I have shows a 5mmf cap across the osc coil
but I don't see one and wonder if it was missing from the factory because the
parts list doesn't show a 5mmf cap. I'm guessing the coil came with both caps
as an assembly or my unit is a later one and they may have figured out a way to
wind the coil where they don't need it. Anyone know? Scoping the grid I can
see a flash of high freq. osc momentarily but that's switching in the Short
side.
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

The manual I have for the CT-1 shows a 10 pf capacitor across the oscillator
coil, however, it's not in the parts list either. The oscillator coil must have
come from the factory assembled with a tuning capacitor that made the circuit
oscillate at the correct frequency.
Do you have a complete manual that gives the circuit theory of operation? That
section describes both open and short checks as well as normal operation. If
not, I can send you a PDF of the manual.

Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra