Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz Dave Hinz is offline

Default Applying sledgehammer to computer hard drives

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 08:59:03 -0500, Ignoramus17253 wrote:
I had a surprising experience recently. I took a couple of hard drives
and tried to destroy them with a 8 lb sledgehammer. I put a hard drive
on an anvil

I know I've said it before, but it's funny that, just seeing a subject
line, I can tell when you wrote it.

Barely any damage was visible on the drive (though, probably, it would
no longer function). After many more hits, finally, the hard drive was
shoring visible deformation of its frame. I am rather amazed as to how
tough the hard drives are.

Great source of little parts. Your budding engineer of a son would
probably find a great deal of pleasure from dissecting them.