Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default OT - Should Recalls Cause A Company's Demise?

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 7, 11:58 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

oups.com...
On Oct 7, 8:59 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimonabant

On 15 June 2007 the BBC News reported [6] that a committee advising
the US FDA has voted not to recommend the drug's approval because of
concerns over suicidality, depression and other related side effects
associated with use of the drug.

And on June 30th, half of my company, including me, got laid off because
of
it. d8-) I spent more than eight months working on that drug. Imagine our
suprise when it didn't get approved.

Sounds fun...no thanks.

Ah, the FDA has no sense of humor.

--
Ed Huntress

Sorry to hear of the layoff.

I'm not. I was ready to terminate my 3-1/2 year venture into medical
writing, anyway. It pays well but it's really boring to a backyard mechanic
like me.

I have seen first hand similar side effects in people who take
medications...not very fun when you bury a person.

Rimonabant (generic name: brand name is Acomplia in Europe, will be Zimulti
in the US) probably will be approved, with restrictions, in just under three
years from now. It's a long story but it's a very, very good drug that
already has copycats. It was approved in Germany and a few other countries
several years ago.

The FDA is nervous because the mechanism of action is new, and they can't
yet identify who's at risk for the extremely rare depressive effects.
They're super gun shy after the Vioxx fiasco. The drug works by blocking the
endocannabinoid receptors, which are the ones that give you the munchies
when you smoke marijuana, and through some direct endocrine interventions
that are related to what Joe was talking about. Really cool and interesting,
and all new science that's still shaking out.

I've had six openings from headhunters and several unsolicited job offers.
I'm not suffering.

--
Ed Huntress

I guess the machining industry is not an option.

John