Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Thwacker needs a mechanism..

"steamer" wrote in message
--Looking for a solution to a little design problem. The situation
arises due to a firewood pile that's periodically infested with various
crawley vermin, which means that, before a log goes into the fireplace I
first pick it off the pile, then throw it onto the ground and watch the
little buggers scurry off, then pick it up a second time and take it to
the
fireplace. What I'm thinking is I'll build a really heavy duty firewood
rack
out of steel, then build something that lifts one end a foot or so off the
ground, then drops it repeatedly, to shake out the unwanted critters. So
what I need to figure out is how to build a mechanism that's driven by an
electric motor that will lift, say, 400lbs a foot in the air, then let go
and do it without falling apart over a loooong winter. Suggestions?

Wouldn't it just be easier to sticker your woodpile? My parents' woodpile
was in deep shadow all the time and it picked up all kinds of things. I just
put some branches in between the logs, stickering it like a pile of drying
lumber. Once the logs weren't all jammed together the problem disappeared.
It stayed dryer, too. Don't let falling leaves get in there.

Or is the place hopelessly dark and wet?

You could try putting some big speakers near the pile and play heavy metal
at high volume.

--
Ed Huntress