Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Thwacker needs a mechanism..

"steamer" wrote in message
--Looking for a solution to a little design problem. The situation
arises due to a firewood pile that's periodically infested with

various
crawley vermin, which means that, before a log goes into the

fireplace I
first pick it off the pile, then throw it onto the ground and watch

the
little buggers scurry off, then pick it up a second time and take it

to the
fireplace. What I'm thinking is I'll build a really heavy duty

firewood rack
out of steel, then build something that lifts one end a foot or so

off the
ground, then drops it repeatedly, to shake out the unwanted

critters. So
what I need to figure out is how to build a mechanism that's driven

by an
electric motor that will lift, say, 400lbs a foot in the air, then

let go
and do it without falling apart over a loooong winter. Suggestions?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Feeling like Bender in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a strong magnetic field...

Throw poly sheeting over it, flood inside with CO2 from your welder,
asphyxiate the little varmets, and cremate the remains

AWEM