Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default seeking advice on chair restoration

"Walter Johnson" wrote in message
This chair was rescued from a potential bonfire. It is likely 100+ years
old and I want to remove the old paint and start over with bare wood.
Any suggestions on how to remove the old paint?

Paint remover. No, really, they sell stuff that you just brush on and then
scrape off the paint.

Any suggestions for a
finish? It is my belief that chairs of this vintage were painted rather
than finished with natural wood finish. It appears to have been red then
green. I am thinking green or blue as a finish color.

If it was painted 100 years ago, it may have been some sort of milk paint.
There are plenty of makers of authentic looking paints for the period.