Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Painting celotex

On Oct 8, 11:43 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on how to paint celotex?
The shop I've inherited (on the corner of our lot) was finished with
celotex. I've tried painting it, but it is really absorbent. Also, where
there had been water leaks from the ceiling, the celotex is discolored, and
paint doesn't cover the stains.
My intent is to paint it white to brighten up the shop. I've been using a
brush and roller, and I'm considering spraying paint in the future.

You mean the Celotex insulation? If you're talking about the rigid
foam insulation, the manufacturers and code usually require it to be
covered by something like 1/2" drywall. It's basically tinder on your
walls. What exact product do you have? Since your shop is near the
property line (inferring that from 'on the corner of our lot') your
local codes may be more stringent than if it were elsewhere on the
property. Depends on your zoning, etc. More details would be
helpful.