Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam Sam is offline

Default Help with laminating stock

Sorry, I left off the url to the page with links to the stocks.

http://www.westcustomrifles.com/customriflestocks.htm

Just click on one of the links.

This wegpage with a walnut-cherry gunstock got me started making my
own laminated stocks. If you look close at the walnut stock on the top
of the page you can see the glue line and the grain change in this
stock too.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek011.html

The walnut & cherry laminated stock is about 1/2 way down the page.
It was made by Richard Franklin who sold his stockmaking business to
West Custom Rifles. Laminated stocks for target rifles are much more
stable than solid wood stocks and they also have a big advantage over
fiberglass stocks because wood is a better vibration damper.

The laminating press is a big steel i-beam box with a floating beam
that's attached with big springs to counter the weight. It's clamping
action is from 2 20-ton hydrolic presses that aren't installed in the
picture. (I had to go back and take another look to see why it wasn't
clear)

My next project is to build a press like this one. I'm scrounging for
steel beams now. The stock I wanted was priced at $600 for an
unfinished stock and $900+ for a finished one. I've invested about the
same amount in tools and hardware to build 10 stocks for my varmint
and target rifles as I would have paid to buy 10 finished stocks and
now I have a shop full of equipment including a 5-axis routing
duplicator from Dakota Arms (bought from a retireing gunsmith) . It
took 3 months to learn to use the equipment and my 3rd stock was
usable. I've made about 15 stocks now and everyone I sell is
advertizing for the next customer.

http://www.dakotaarms.com/quikstore.html
http://tinyurl.com/3atf4v

---------------------------

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 02:16:16 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 6:39pm (EDT-1)
(Sam)
Here's a couple of photos of a gunsmith's operation that makes custom
laminated rifle stocks. This photo is of his laminating press:
**
http://www.westcustomrifles.com/P3290285.jpg snip

From that picture, I can't figure out how that laminating press
works - unless it's got hydraulic pistons, or something, in those end
columns. Damn ugly color scheme too.

I didn't see any stocks that I could say were laminated. Seems to
be decent work, but the stock colors suck.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."