Posted to rec.woodworking
DJM DJM is offline

Default Drawer disaster!!

On Oct 7, 10:52 am, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:58:31 -0700, DJM wrote:
On Oct 6, 3:37 pm, "Rich" wrote:
I had a brain fart once and my wife rescued me on this.
Get a pillowcase and put about 5-10 lbs of rice (not cooked just right out
of the bag) in the pillowcase and tie it off so the rice won't fall out.
Heat up the bag in the microwave until its almost too hot to hold. Then put
the rice bag around the glue joint. I'd put the drawer cherry face down and
put the bag in behind the front. Leave it for about 15-20 minutes. The
titebond will soften enough to get it apart. This will work, I've done
it...you'll be able to rework ater that and no glue this time....

--

FWIW, everyone!

I'm trying the heated rice trick and it's working to some extent. I
might need to heat it longer/leave it on the drawer fronts longer,
etc. I got the first one off, but tore off much of the first plywood
lamination (not a big deal). The damage will be hidden by the cherry
front panel when it's reworked.

I'm gonna try more heat for a longer period of time to try to remove
the second panel (of five!) today.

Keep you posted!
Dennis