Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Oxy/acet torch questions

"AWN" wrote in message
.. .
I have just picked up a med duty Victor torch/cutting set and I had some
questions...

My kit doesn't come with backflow/arresters and I'm wondering if I should
worry about using the torch without them? I'm using the smallest sized O2
and acet bottles my supplier carries so I don't know if that makes a
difference from a pressure standpoint?

The manual that comes with the kit suggests using the arresters but I
wanted
to ask from a 'first hand experience' perspective as to whether or not I
truly need them? I don't want to have a fire or blow myself up but I've
been using portable 1lb MAP torches for years and never had a backfire,
problem, etc...

Is there any other advice you could offer a noobie like myself? My first
two projects are going to be fixing the exhaust on an old project car and
building a welding cart. Should I use coat hanger to weld the exhaust
with?
I've heard this works very well.

Can I weld the exhaust with the MAP torch or is it not hot enough? I'm
itching to get this torch fired up but I have visions of causing a problem
without the arresters in place...

Thanks for any and all advice.
Andrew.

It's just a peace of mind thing. We all do lots of jobs with
no/minimal/incorrect PPE. (Personal Protective Equipment) This is not in
the same category, but the point is similar. You're trying to prevent for
the worst situation. I have had slag fly from where I was welding and set
things afire. If the hoses were near them, they would have ignited, too.
But, with the positive pressure, they would have just spewed. It's when you
have a blowback, and the gas INSIDE the lines gets on fire that you're in
trouble.

I don't know any statistics on injuries or fatalities without the arrestors.
I have never heard of any, and I've been welding since 1974.

I bought a torch set recently, too, and I'll go spend the $$$ to get a set,
but that's just the way I am. I have a tendency to have regular worst case
scenarios.

I suggest that you Ping Ernie in the sci.engr.joining.welding group and ask
him. He knows more about welding than the sum of the entire population who
knows anything about welding.

You can take what he says as gospel.

And the sci.engr.joining.welding is one great newsgroup.

Steve