Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Oxy/acet torch questions

AWN wrote:

I have just picked up a med duty Victor torch/cutting set and I had some
questions...

My kit doesn't come with backflow/arresters and I'm wondering if I should
worry about using the torch without them? I'm using the smallest sized O2
and acet bottles my supplier carries so I don't know if that makes a
difference from a pressure standpoint?

The manual that comes with the kit suggests using the arresters but I wanted
to ask from a 'first hand experience' perspective as to whether or not I
truly need them? I don't want to have a fire or blow myself up but I've
been using portable 1lb MAP torches for years and never had a backfire,
problem, etc...

Is there any other advice you could offer a noobie like myself? My first
two projects are going to be fixing the exhaust on an old project car and
building a welding cart. Should I use coat hanger to weld the exhaust with?
I've heard this works very well.

Can I weld the exhaust with the MAP torch or is it not hot enough? I'm
itching to get this torch fired up but I have visions of causing a problem
without the arresters in place...

Thanks for any and all advice.
Andrew.

I'm no O/A expert, but a couple thoughts on the arresters:

- O/A built the entire modern world, and all before the arresters were
invented.

- The US is lawsuit crazy and if arresters were truly essential, the
product liability insurance carriers for Victor, etc. would insist that
such arresters were included as standard equipment rather like the
crappy anti kickback chains included with even professional grade chain
saws (they get thrown out by the pros).

- If you want the extra security of arresters, get the combo quick
connect / arresters so you get some actual utility for your investment.