Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Any locksmiths hereabouts? How to impress a padlock. Help please

On 6 Oct, 00:13, "Nick"
wrote:
if you mean an Abus Discus as hehttp://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/..._Padlocks.html

then I fear you may be mistaken. I have removed these in a very short time.
We gave up on them some while ago.
Removed with Record 36" bolt croppers,

The Discus design is a close-shackle design, meaning that you can't
get bolt-croppers _to_ the shackle. You have to use it in such a way
(i.e. attached to a close-fitting staple) that there isn't room to get
them in. If you use a large one on a narrow staple, then it may become
croppable (although you'd probably find the quickest route to be
attacking the staple itself).

The Discus isn't the strongest case in the world (it's only welded
sheet) and is certainly breakable with force. To go better though,
you're looking at a "limpet" design where the shackle is internal and
the whole mechanism fits under a hemispherical lid. A hinged shackle
(like the Cruiser) is a backward step.